New Jersey Licensing Info

Requirements for entering into a Marriage or Civil Union:

For two people to establish a Marriage or Civil Union in New Jersey, they must satisfy all of the following requirements:

Not be a party to another Marriage, Civil Union, or domestic partnership in this state or that is recognized by this state*;
Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under 18 may enter into a Marriage or Civil Union with parental consent. Applicants under age 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part.
* Same sex couples who meet the above requirements and are registered as domestic partners may enter into a Marriage or Civil Union with the same person without terminating their domestic partnership first. If the domestic partnership was registered in New Jersey, it automatically terminates when the Marriage or Civil Union is registered. If the domestic partnership was registered in another state, that state’s laws determine the impact on the domestic partnership. A couple that has previously entered into a Marriage or Civil Union or a same-sex marriage shall apply for a Reaffirmation of Marriage or Civil Union License.

Where to apply:

You may apply in the New Jersey municipality in which either person resides. The license is valid throughout the state.
If neither applicant lives in New Jersey, submit the application in the municipality where the Marriage or Civil Union ceremony will be performed. The license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Search for your Local Registrar

What you should bring with you when you apply for a Marriage or Civil Union license:

If you are divorced, have had a previous Marriage or Civil Union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a Marriage or Civil Union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents.
If your former spouse/Marriage or Civil Union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate,
A copy of your birth certificate, driver’s license, passport or state I.D.
Proof of your residency.
Your social security card or social security number.*
A witness, 18 years of age or older.
The $28 application fee.
*Your social security number is required by law and will be kept confidential.

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

After you apply:

There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.

The Marriage or Civil Union license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.

Only one Marriage or Civil Union license may be granted from a Marriage or Civil Union application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.

The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the Local Registrar will photocopy the Marriage or Civil Union application, marking one “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding Marriage or Civil Union licenses, marking them “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.